Thursday, November 30, 2017

Steamed Gyoza / Broccoli



Song:  Sweet Dreams And Starlight

Artist:  David Nevue





Gyoza...
or as they are known as in the USA...Potstickers...
may be gotten frozen from almost any Asian market...
or...from Trader Joe's.

You may pan fry...
or steam them.





If you do not have a dedicated steamer set...
they are inexpensive...
and really are a necessity for a well turned out kitchen.

I had picked this particular one up at the Asian market near us.

I had gotten a large one...
as I knew I would like to steam more than one type of food at a time.

The lower water portion is large...
and will hold more than enough water to steam cook almost anything.


It is a double tier steamer.

Each steam basket easily holds over 2 lbs of food.



The steamer is often used in Asian cooking.


As I had to start the rice first...
we had extra time...
so, my mother and I had a couple of milk chocolate and macadamia nut wafers with coffee.


This is my mother's favorite coffee.

It is Vietnamese style coffee (really French style).


My mother made the coffee for us.


This particular hot water pot holds 4 liters...
has two temperature settings...
a child lock...
two ways to dispense...
and a blue LED for late night drinks.

In the stainless steel exterior...
it goes for only $50.00 on Amazon.

This is about one fifth the cost of so many others.


My mother enjoyed her cookies and coffee like a child would  :)

As we had to wait a little longer before I could start cooking...
as we were waiting on the rice to cook...
we just sipped our coffee and talked for a while.


I then started setting out the items we would be eating.

I had made these Reno Red Hots a few days ago.

I use one cup of crushed Korean red pepper for this size pickle container.

The pickling solution will easily last five or more sliced turnip batches.

As turnips are of the radish family...
 radishes and red peppers are a very healthful food combination.

These are our favorite pickles.


The rice was almost cooked...
so, we added 2 lbs of the frozen gyoza to the lower tier basket.





We then added the broccoli to the upper steam basket.


I then just kept the fire on high for 20 minutes
(5 minutes to get the water to a boil / 10 + 5 minutes cooking time 
(+ 5 minutes for our elevation of 5400 feet)).


We then made the gyoza sauce.

I like it at about 60 / 40 ratio of mustard to soy sauce.





When the gyoza is ready...
you then just drizzle the desired amount over the gyoza.


The broccoli was ready.




I had my mother start on her broccoli for a few minutes.

We then pulled out the gyoza.




We then got the rice bowled.


We then bowled the miso soup.


I then plated the gyoza.


This was my meal.

Notice the sauce on the gyoza.


My mother had a delicious meal.

I had asked her what she had a particular desire for on this night.

I usually give her a quick rundown of dishes.

When her face lights up on her desired meal...
I know we have that night's meal  :)


There was plenty of leftovers for my mother to easily warm up in the microwave
on a later day.


I had told my mother that our next night's meal would be breakfast.

As I usually scramble a dozen eggs...
cook a lb of sausage...
and bake 8 fluffy biscuits...
I told her to make sure to not eat after 2 PM...
as she will have to be really hungry for this meal.


-------------


I highly recommend you look over the archives in this blog
on how to make Reno Red Hots.

These healthful...
and highly delicious pickles...
are inexpensive, easy to make...
and highly addictive.

They are sure to be a family favorite.














2 comments:

  1. We all love gyoza, especially Kai. The ones you can get at the store are very tasty and easy to make, though my wife occasionally makes them by hand as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't found any which can beat homemade in taste. The store bought ones are...though...convenient...and a time saver.

    My mother used to often make homemade ones when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete