Sunday, March 12, 2017

I - Asian Spaghetti - A Delicious Way To Serve Salmon


Song:  Land Of Oz

Artist:  Hilary Stagg



As there are many photos...
I had to break this into two articles.

The is the first article on Asian Spaghetti.

I had asked my wife for another recipe with which I could use salmon.

She told me how to cook Asian Spaghetti
(This is one of my son's (Alex) favorite meals).

As it is a very simple process to cook...
I hadn't any need to write it down.

This is not only a highly nutritious meal...
besides being thoroughly delicious...
it is insanely inexpensive...
and very easy to make.

In the following photos...
I use my mother for demonstration purposes only.

Except for the vegetable prep...
I do all of the cooking.



First of all...
one of the most highly nutritious fish is salmon (as most cold water fish are).

I stock my mom's freezer with 10 lbs of salmon at a time.

A two lb bag of these wild caught skinless Pink Salmon fillets goes for 
$14.99 at Super Walmart.


For this dish...
which will easily feed a full family of five...
I use five fillets (about one lb).


Merely put the individually wrapped fillets in a large bowl and fill it with hot water 
for 10 - 15 minutes to fully defrost them.


This is my favorite spaghetti.

I always buy the thick spaghetti.
It is well worth having to cook it a mere 5 minutes longer than the thin ones.

In Reno...
since we live over a mile in elevation...
it actually takes a little over 20 minutes to fully cook.


Now...
for phase one of this dish...
you will need a good 2.5 gallon stockpot to cook the spaghetti...
and a 12 - 14 inch covered pan to poach the salmon.


Fill the 2.5 gallon stock pot about halfway with water
to ensure the spaghetti is fully submerged as you cook them.


I always cook large pots on the burner with the power boil setting...
as this rapidly gets...and keeps...the water at a roiling boil.


As you can see...
the flame covers the full width of the large stockpot.


I set up the sink with the colander to drain the spaghetti.


My mother's stove evacuation fan actually works almost too well.

I have to use it only on the low setting...
as the higher settings actually cause such an updraft into it
that the flames on the burners actually bend to the rear as the air rushes past them
if I use any other setting.


As you can see...
the exhaust fan set up is very efficient.

It funnels all smoke and moisture into it...
and out of the house, very well.


You will need these implements to manipulate the food during cooking.

The left one is for the pasta...
and the one on the right is to mince the meat.


Of course...
a good spatula is the all purpose turner.


Remember a good set of oven mitts to carry the stock pot to the sink to drain the noodles.

The scissors are necessary to cut open each of the individually sealed fillets.


Simply cut open each packet and drain.


Then place each fillet in the skillet.

Each fillet is filled with liquid.

This is good...
as they will poach in their own juices perfectly.


I use medium heat to poach the salmon.



By this time...
the water should be at a roiling boil.



It is then time to put in the whole package of spaghetti.


The way the meal is timed...
both finish at about the same time...
in about 20 minutes...
with but one turning of the salmon at the ten minute mark.


In the meantime...
it is good to wash and put away any unneeded cooking implements.


Simply sweep the pot from rear to front using the pasta ladle.
Scrape the bottom to ensure no pasta sticks to the stockpot.



Just after turning the first fillet.

Notice there is no burning of the fillet.

Correct poaching leaves the salmon tender and fluffy throughout.


The salmon and the spaghetti are both done at the 20 minute mark
(However...remember...at our elevation...
it takes almost twice as long to cook the spaghetti).



Simply drain the spaghetti...
and let it sit in the colander.





Then place the poached salmon into a large bowl
(I use a very large Vietnamese Pho bowl).



Next...
mince the salmon into bite sized pieces.



Again...
during free time while cooking...
it is always a good idea to wash and put away any unneeded cooking implements.

This will keep the counters neat and clear...
so you may use them freely.

It also prevents any possibility of cross contamination of food.


In the next article...
I will go into the second phase of this incredibly delicious meal.


The last portion will take but a few minutes to complete.














No comments:

Post a Comment