Sunday, December 2, 2018

Ponzu Peppers And Butter Sautéed Flounder


Song:  Lazy Calm

Artist:  Cocteau Twins



Both, my mother and I, love fire roasted vegetables.

I use the highest gas setting to char the outside of the vegetables 
(in this case...multicolored bell peppers).

This brings out the delicious aroma and greatly enhances the flavor...
without sacrificing the crispness or nutrients of the vegetables.

Remember...
you are NOT cooking the vegetables...
merely charring the outside.






My mother was in charge of picking up any of the pieces which fell through the wire mesh
(I will be finding a much better designed fish/vegetable fire roasting basket...
one with cross meshing so pieces don't fall through when flipping the basket).


As you can see...
my mother and I cook, eat, and clean up to music
(My iPod and speaker is visible just over my mother's left shoulder).






The pepper aroma is so good.

My mother and I love the smell of fire roasted bell peppers.
They have a fresh and very fragrant aroma.


After I had fire roasted the peppers...
I started on the flounder.

I generally use one third to one half a stick of butter...
always real butter.


I cooked a full pound of flounder.

This is a very delicately flavored white fish...
and so, I flavor it with just the butter, salt, and pepper.




Flounder cooks very quickly...
as they come thinly sliced.


I have been having my mother try new beers...
as she loves one at night with her supper.

This new one on the left I had her try.

Blue Moon Belgian White is a great ale.

Both, she and I, love the very smooth and mellow taste.

I rarely drink any alcoholic drinks.

However, I had tried it on an earlier occasion.

It is one of the best ones I have ever had
(The only other beer or ale I really like is Suntory Draft).

On this night...
I just had an O'Doul's
(non-alcoholic beer).



This is the dipping sauce we used for the peppers.

It has a lightly acidic and citrus taste which also really goes well with fish...
however, with flounder, we just eat it with the seasonings I use during cooking
(butter, salt, and pepper).


I just dip the pepper slice into the ponzu...
and enjoy with the meal.

It adds a very clean and flavor enhancing quality to the rest of the meal.






My mother really liked this supper.

We tend to like simple...
yet, very nutritious and delicious meals.


I usually ask her for her preferred meal for the day early on...
however, we will most often have some form of fish.

I try to combine the two most healthful diets in the world...
that of the people of Japan...
and that of the people of the Mediterranean. 


 ---------------


As you can see from the photos...
since breaking her pelvis about three to four months ago...
although she had healed quite rapidly and is now walking without any walking aids...
she still had lost quite a bit of weight.

I am supplementing her diet late at night with 
some sort of high caloric snack.

She isn't always hungry enough for them...
but, I usually check on her from around 12 - 2 AM to see if she would like a late night 
pizza, or burger (I usually have frozen versions of both)...
or any other food she would have an appetite for.

She is usually up watching TV at this time.

Addendum:

It was at 2 AM that I made my mother a Corn Dog and a White Castle Slider.






My mom loves her beer and ale.  :)





My mother loves midnight snacks.

I will often make her some noodles...
but as she needs more calories now...
I am opting for high fat content foods.

She felt sated after this...
and she went back to watching the TV.

She likes watching Japan TV on cable.














2 comments:

  1. I love seeing your mother's facial expressions... she looks very happy with her good food and good beer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she expresses her delight with the purity of a child. It is always sincere, unguarded, and comes from the heart.

    ReplyDelete