Saturday, June 17, 2017

Second Day: Donner Lake Picnic / Observation Point


Song:  Land Of Oz

Artist:  Hilary Stagg


We had enjoyed our previous day at Donner Lake so much...
we decided to go back on the following day and have a picnic
in the same area of Donner Lake.

We then drove up a little ways to an observation area above and beyond Donner Lake.

We then continued westwards to connect with the highway crossing the Sierra Nevadas...
and back to Reno.


We are just 15 minutes from home here...
and going through the gateway to California from Reno.


We arrived at Donner Lake a short while later.


On the way to Donner Lake...
I picked up some fire grilled chicken for us to eat.


As this was a Friday...
there were a lot more people at the lake.

This man was fishing nearby.


These two guys were there for a few minutes...
but they then departed.


Even though it may not seem crowded to most people...
for me...
I am most comfortable with no one else around.

I love having the whole place to myself  :)


This man was fishing to the west of us.





There were a few boats on the lake towing tubers behind.




My mother and I had finished almost all of the chicken...
and I threw the leftovers away.

My mother was a little upset with me here  :)
(she only stayed a little mad for a few minutes).

Although I knew she wasn't really that mad...
she tried to give me the mad mother look!  :)

She had wanted to take the leftovers home.

No no no!

I never eat any food which had been left unrefrigerated (with the exception of rice)...
for over 60 minutes...especially meats...
and even less if the temperature is warm.

As we were going to the lookout point from here...
I threw all the leftovers away!

It only takes one bout of food poisoning in life...to be forever cautious about food safety!  :)







Right after we had finished our meal...
we drove up to the lookout point.







This bridge was our goal.




We arrived at the lookout point.


Donner Lake in the background.




My mother is deathly afraid of heights.

She had clung to the railing and had moved slowly almost the whole way up.  :)










My mother was happy to be sitting down...
not because she was tired...
but because she felt safer...
as she didn't have to look down from there.  :)




Hana enjoyed the lookout.


My mother holding on to the railing again...
even on the road side on our way back down  :)



We continued west along this bypass highway towards another entrance
to the major highway leading back to Reno.






Just a little ways up the bypass...
we went through the very small town of Soda Springs.

Just beyond this town is the entrance to Highway 80...
which crosses the Sierra Nevadas...
and leads us back home.



Hana had the whole back of the seat to herself.



We passed Donner Lake on the way home.


We are not far from home here...
perhaps 20 or so minutes.

The Truckee river is just below us here.



My mother had a good time.

She always looks forwards to our little outings...
even if they involve heights.  :)









2 comments:

  1. What a great place to have a picnic!

    And that view from the lookout is magnificent! Though I think Hana enjoyed it more than your mother did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is strange, Hana never likes to eat whenever we go places. She drinks a lot of water there, but never eats...even chicken. Perhaps she gets a little motion sick on our trips to the mountains.

    My mother loves the mountains...so long as she doesn't have to walk too far. :)

    ReplyDelete