Saturday, July 1, 2017

A Gift For My Mother / Miso Salmon Yaki


Song:  The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Movie Theme:  Ennio Morricone


First of all...
I had gotten this recipe from this Japanese American woman's recipe blog.
She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area...where I had spent my youth growing up
(I had begun to run out of recipes for salmon).

If you are interested in cooking Japanese food:


This link will take you directly to this particular recipe...
and you may then navigate her blog as you choose.

Each recipe is set up with a print button where just that particular recipe will print.
She has done a great job with her blog.


Again...
you may buy great salmon fillets in 2 lb. bags from any Super Walmart for under $15.00.

I recommend you buy ten or more bags at a time if you have a deep freeze.


As each fillet is approximately 1/4 lb...
I decided to make four of them.


With the salmon still in the individually vacuum sealed bags...
place them in a hot bath to defrost.

Even from a deep freeze...
it will only take 10 or so minutes.


I had used these ingredients
(again...you may get the actual recipe at the top of the article...click on the link).




I don't remember if I had mentioned this before.
With all appliances which aren't properly vented...
you must make sure they stay clear from the kitchen cabinets.

They will soon discolor and warp if you do not.



After defrosting the salmon fillets...
I then marinated them in the fridge for 1 hour.


In the meantime...
I had made our pre-supper salads.

I added much of what we had left over from the previous night's flame grilled veggies...
to our basic salad material.

This night's salad was especially large and delicious.




As you can see...
these Vietnamese Pho bowls have depth...
as well as great width.

Everyone should always start their meals with a very large salad.


This was my salad.
Dressings should accent the natural taste of the fresh veggies...
not drown them in it.



After our salad...
my mother opened up a package my elder sister had sent her.

My sister had sewn a warm hoodie for my mother to relax in when the temperatures
once again drop here in Reno.

The material is made from a micro fibre similar to Polartech.


It fit my mother perfectly.

You will notice the time.

We often eat late at night...
however, this is not in contradiction to my preaching not to eat from 6 to 10 hours 
before bedtime.

Both, my mother, and I, do not go to sleep until sometime after sunrise.

So, for us...
our supper is not eaten 6 - 10 hours before our bedtime.




After one hour had elapsed...


I placed the salmon fillets on a foiled cooking sheet.


I then placed the sheet in the oven with the broiler set to high...
for 10 minutes.


This was my mother's plate.


She had tried it...


and she said that she loved it.



We both also had miso soup.


My mother then told me to look at her plate.

After she had taken a bite from one of the umeboshi...
she noticed that it looked like a girl's head...complete with hair.

Cool...or...creepy...
depending on how you look at it.

(My mother had just...technically...
bitten off her head  :) 






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to the website. My wife is always looking for new ideas so I will share this with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife is always looking for good Japanese recipes, so, she often goes to that site.

    ReplyDelete