Saturday, January 23, 2016

A Quick And Fun Meal To Eat: Marinated Octopus


Song:  Happy

Artist:  Pharrell Williams





(Eight large octopus arms go for about $38.00...
however, one arm will feed two people).

I just got back from Japan a few days ago.
My wife's mother had made some marinated octopus 
for us to eat while my family and I were there.

Although I had eaten it before...
I had forgotten, not only how truly delicious it is...
but how it is so satisfying in texture.

It is very chewy...
and as a result, it is highly satisfying to the mouth.

It has a chewiness that is like no other meat common to America.

It is a very fun food to eat.

It is a true carnivore's meal.

You can just imagine you are a lion on the Serengeti 
which is happily chewing on a highly muscled thigh of an impala.

Now mind you...
it is not tough or stringy...
just highly chewy.

When I eat this meal...
I probably look like a dog with his eyes rolled back in a dreamy state
as he is chewing on a rubber bone.

This chewiness is what makes this high protein meal so much fun to eat.


They usually come precooked and frozen.
Just defrost for 20 minutes in warm water.


While we were waiting for the octopus to defrost...
we ate some Bim Bap (Korean style roll similar to Japanese Futomaki)
and an Asian Pear.



I made a quick stop at a nearby Asian market and picked all of these items up
for a quick lunch with my mother.


I only had to slice one arm for our lunch.


You must slice the pieces rather thinly (1/4 inch or so).

If you slice it too much thicker...
not only will it be very chewy...
the octopus will be out of proportion to the marinade.


Just some rice vinegar or sushi seasoning, and Ponzu or soy sauce to taste...
is all you need.


Simply put in the sliced octopus and let them set for 10 - 15 minutes.
They will then be ready to eat.


Put the remainder of the octopus into a container and refrigerate.
They will easily last a few days.

(I had taken some of the legs home).



The original... 'Happy Meal'  :)




There are many places where you may buy octopus one arm at a time.

If not...
just take out and defrost only that which you can use...
and keep the rest frozen.

My mother and I are going to enjoy the rest of the octopus over the next several meals.

We will also be making Tako Yaki with this.
(I will explain more in another article).

Any true carnivore who has not tried octopus...
have him try this. 

He will have never had a meal such as this.

He will have a big smile on his face as he eats this.

He won't be able to help it...
it is that fun and satisfying.








No comments:

Post a Comment