Tuesday, July 3, 2018

My Younger Sister Joins My Mother In Daily Exercise


Song:  We've Only Just Begun

Group:  The Carpenters



The past month has been hectic.

I helped move my wife and Alex to their new home near UC Berkeley...
so Alex may attend there while living at home.

I moved into my mother's house to take care of her...
as she needs more care now she is nearing 80 yrs. old.

My younger sister is also living here at my mother's...
but only for another six months or so.

She is having a house built near Reno.

She is also helping me care for our mother.

I have placed both of them on a scheduled program of exercise, a healthful diet...
and a more healthful sleep time.

My younger sister knows she is really out of shape.

So, she readily participates in the exercise.

Two days a week...
I will have them lift weights...
two days a week...
my younger sister is taking my mother to a local indoor swimming pool...
and on the other nights...
we go on a night walk into the mountains.







Our eventual goal is to reach the top of the hill on the right.

We just increase the distance walked with every night walked.





On this first night...
we stopped here and turned around.

Next time we will go a couple of hundred feet farther...
and so on.





My mother was surprised at how much pulling power a small dog has.


In the future...
my sister will have both dogs.

I ordered my mother a walking stick...
which she will use during all our walks and hikes.

However...
it is more for immediate protection than for stability. 

Just after we walked off the mountain trail...
we heard a whole pack of Coyotes howling just off in the mountains near where we had walked.

The walking stick is 60" long...
and is able to support a 230 lb person.

If we get accosted by the coyotes...
I will grab the walking stick and send them flying  :)










2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that just living in the mountains will help to make your sister be more healthy but great that you have developed a program for both she and your mother. It will be good for all of you, and Hana, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister is benefiting from the basic three she has neglected. Her eating habit was terrible, especially since she used to practice eating just before bed. She used to avoid any exercise, and she used to sleep in front of the TV all night. She will soon start seeing greatly positive results. I will also be teaching her music. Just by moving here and being willing to making some changes in her life, she has extended it, and fulfilled it with much more living.

    ReplyDelete