Friday, January 1, 2016

One Pot Seafood Nabe - And The Allergic Reaction


Song:  Slow

Artist:  Rumer




There are more ingredients here than we had used for this dish.

However...
I will show each ingredient and I will detail how much of each we had used.

Seafood Nabe is a Japanese meal of great nutrition and heartiness.

You may use any preferred seafood in this dish.

Most of the flavoring comes from the dipping sauce once the dish is cooked.







Enoki is my preferred mushroom over this one...
but they had none.











Just use a large stock pot...
and fill half of it with water.

Put on high heat to bring to a temporary boil.


Simmer at high heat without boiling.


Add Shiitake mushrooms and let them soak for 10 minutes.

Take out the mushrooms and add Hondashi soup stock to taste.


Quarter the Shiitake and add to the broth.


The greens for the night were raw Okra.  

Simply slice them into 1/4 inch or so pieces.


One Tofu cake went into the broth...
and one was used to eat as a side dish.


Simply cut the cakes into rectangles.


Add the tofu to the broth.



Both, the tofu and the okra, will just be garnished with Bonito flakes 
and then have soy sauce poured over the top.

They will then be ready to eat as is.


We then added a half pack of bay scallops...


and one tray of boiled baby clams.



Add sliced fish cake.


Add frozen raw shrimp.

Each of the ingredients are the cooks choice as to how much of each he will add.


Add the other mushrooms.


You may add mung bean noodles if you wish.



Simmer the Nabe for no more than a few minutes.

It is then ready to serve.


We just used Ponzu sauce for the Nabe.

My wife likes to mix it with Memmi.

You may also like to add grated Daikon to the sauce.








My mother would put several pieces of the Nabe into the sauce...
and then eat from the sauce bowl.


Me...
I just pour the sauce over the Nabe.


My mother and I enjoyed this dish very much...
until I visited her the next day to find out that she had a rash over her legs and back.


For lunch...
she not only had more Nabe...
but she had drunk some of the soup.



I bought some anti itch and cortisone creams...
and I began giving her 50 mg doses of benadryl.

The thing is...
my mother had eaten this same dish just a couple of months ago.

She had also been taking anti-biotics for a week prior to the allergic reaction.


Now here is what I am thinking.



Neither the seafood nor the anti-biotics would have triggered the reaction 
had they been given separately.


Antibiotics kill off much of the intestinal flora.

Without the intestinal flora producing the quantity of enzymes necessary for converting 
food into the necessary products before entering the bloodstream...
some had slipped through unaltered (leaky gut)...
and had caused the allergic reaction.

I had forgotten that my mother was taking anti-biotics.

I should have started her off with yogurt and other beneficial flora establishing 
foods and drinks for a few days first.

Over the course of the following two days...
the rash had ascended...
covering her arms and face
(she had no other symptoms).

Also...
none of the over the counter medication was working.


I called for a next day doctor's appointment in California 
(her insurance covers her for non-emergencies in California only...
she is covered anywhere in the world for emergencies).


Early the next day...
we started on our 2 hour trip to just outside of Sacramento.


We are on our way to the doctor's appointment.






We had a quick consultation.

She was prescribed stronger medication to deal with the rash and itching.


We then had to cross over to the next building to the pharmacy to pick up the meds.


On the way out of the pharmacy...
a lady was selling mandarins.

As they stopped handing out lollipops after appointments decades ago...
I bought my mother a 5 lb bag of mandarins.

My mother smiled like a school girl as she carried her bag of mandarins  :)



On the way home...
we stopped in to eat at a Japanese restaurant.

After we had eaten Saba (grilled Mackerel)...
I realized that her eating another form of seafood was not a good idea.

Fortunately...
she had no adverse reactions to it.

When we got to her home...
I gave her the medication...
and she got some relief.


It is now New Years Day.

I will be going to my mother's to make Mochi.

Last night...
I started soaking 15 lbs of sweet rice.

When I go back to her house...
I will take over our mochi making machine.

I will then spend all day and late into the night forming the finished mochi.

We will freeze most of it...
however...
most of the first batch...
I will eat.

Fresh hot mochi is sooo delicious.


My next article will be of our day of mochi making.



No comments:

Post a Comment