Friday, July 13, 2018

My First Time Making California Maki


Song:  Forever Autumn

Artist:  Justin Hayward




Last night...
I made California Makizushi for the first time.

I had my mother slice up the avocados...
and I did everything else.

My younger sister stuffed the Inarizushi.


California Maki is simply crab meat (real crab meat)...
avocado, and sushi rice...
wrapped in seasoned seaweed sheets.








As we were busy making supper...
my mother's hiking stick arrived.


It is a hefty hardwood hiking stick which is taller than is my mother.


She will use this on all of our hikes and walks.


Be sure to make the rice an hour or so ahead of time...
as you need to fluff and cool the rice so handling it will be easier.


Just mix in the sushi seasoning throughout the rice...to taste.

Too many sushi restaurants don't use enough of this seasoning.

It should have a slightly sweet vinegar taste.


Always use real crab meat...
it makes a difference.


Just put in a row of the rice...
line the sides with the avocado...
and top it with a generous helping of the crab meat.


Then just roll it.



As I was rolling the sushi...
my younger sister stuffed the Inarizushi pouches with the seasoned rice.





My plate...
well...
actually...
I had more of the Inarizushi.


I know it is a cardinal sushi sin to mix in the Wasabi into the soy sauce...
but...
I like it this way.


I always mix it thoroughly...
with NO lumps.

If there are any clumps of wasabi...
you will ingest too much all at once.

However...
my mother just doesn't listen sometimes...
with comical results  :)


My mother's soy sauce and wasabi...
with clumps of wasabi.


This is why you must thoroughly mix the two...


I am sorry...
but I laugh every time I see this.






I know next time...
she STILL won't listen.

She does this every time.

I usually mix it for her...
however...
this time...
I thought it would be a fun teaching moment  :)

I will probably have to mix it for her in the future...
as she will do the same thing again...
no matter how much it stings.  :)


Many years from now...
I will look back at these funny moments...
and I will be happy that we had them.










2 comments:

  1. You made some mighty fine California rolls... real crab meat!

    I have to admit that I laughed at the photos of your mother reacting to the wasabi. :) Hopefully she had a good laugh about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real crab meat makes all the difference in the world. I love the rich crab taste.

      My mother laughed when I showed her the photos of herself in the throws of wasabi misery :)

      Delete