Sunday, February 4, 2018

My Mother's Birthday Dinner / Transposition Completed



Song:  Theme From The Valley Of The Dolls

Artist:  Dionne Warwick

Although my mother's birthday was a few days ago...
we celebrated it on this night.

My younger sister is staying at my mother's house for a little while.

We took her out to our new favorite steak house:  Texas Roadhouse.



We ate three orders of fresh hot bread...
and my mother also started on her salad.


We had all ordered their Prime Rib.

My mother's eyes seem to be saying
she is surprised by how thick her Prime Rib is :)


This was mine.


This was my younger sister's.


Their Prime Rib is among the best I have ever eaten.


We were leaving...
fully sated.


These were the trimmings from all three Prime Ribs.


Hana had a good time eating it all.


The following is my transposition of one of my favorite songs.

Once again...
I've only been playing the base flute for a few weeks.

My musical notation skills are still in its infancy.

However...
I believe it is an accurate representation of the original song.

I had done this by ear...
replicating the notes on my mother's piano.

So...
as I have neither ever taken piano lessons...
nor have I been taught musical composition...
and I have only been playing the bass flute for 3 or so weeks...
and I am self taught...and I am learning as I go...
this transposition is very rough...and I am unsure if it follows musical protocol.


However...
I am able to play it using what I have written.

I played it for a couple of hours today.

One of the notes reached the upper most range capable for the bass flute...
and I actually had to learn how to play the upper most three notes to be able 
to play this song.

This was a whole lot of fun...
and a little bit of frustration  :)

As my mother has also only been playing the piano for a few weeks...
I will skip the chords for her.  

This way...
she will only need to concentrate on the right hand playing
(I had written out the piano portion and had published it in an earlier article).







Again...
there is no original sheet music for this song...
and the original composer gave permission for anyone to write out the music...
if they so wish.

NOTE:  Although I play this on the bass flute...
I transposed it for the concert or alto flute
(The bass flute can play the full range as it is in its octave range).











2 comments:

  1. Those prime ribs look delicious!

    Congratulations on completing the transposition! Quite an accomplishment, especially for a novice at musical notation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to be our steak / Prime Rib restaurant from now on.

    I will be practicing this piece for a while. The upper most notes are hard for me to consistently hit.

    ReplyDelete