Monday, February 19, 2018

Music Appreciation Day: Pink Floyd


Song:  Comfortably Numb

Group:  Pink Floyd


I had arrived just before noon at my mother's yesterday.

I had told her that on that day...
we would finish off the evening with a Pink Floyd Concert on DVD....
and a pizza.

It would be music appreciation day for my mother.



Shortly after arriving...
we had some coffee and an apple turnover.


My mother relaxed in her massage chair...
while I moved the iPod and speaker system to the large chair
while I transposed another song.

I will be transposing this way from now on.

This will allow my mother to practice on the piano at the same time.




I just play the musical piece I want to transpose...
on the iPod...
and I will then play a few notes at a time on the bass flute.


I will then write down what I had played.

After a while...
we took a break.


I made some cold noodles...
with a side of shrimp cocktail.



This is the best seafood cocktail sauce I have ever had.

It has just the right amount of horseradish in it.


I had my mother watch the noodles at first.


Then I took over...
and I had her de-tail the shrimp.


After straining the noodles...
my mother then ran cold water through the noodles.


We then re-strained the noodles...
and bowled them.


I had my mother mix in the sauce and mustard packets.

My mother started laughing because I kept saying...
mix them faster...faster!


My mother and I are big noodle eaters.


After every meal...
I have my mother brush her teeth...
and floss.

I will brush my teeth at the same time using the left hand sink.

I will then give her a length of floss.


As you can see on her left shoulder...
I always place a length of floss over her left shoulder.

She used to come out of the master bath with an impish smile, saying she had flossed...
when I knew she couldn't have in such a short period of time...
and she still had the floss over her left shoulder  :)

Now...
we brush together...
and I have her sit where I can see her as she flosses.


My mother listened as I played her the song up to where I had transposed.


We then looked outside.

It had begun snowing.


My mother then began practicing her piano lesson...
as I finished up transposing the song I had been working on
(Gymnopedie by Erik Satie).





I finally finished it...
and I played it for my mother a few times.

I am building up a whole list of songs to play for my mother.

I told her she could pick which songs she wants to hear
after I have finished with the day's lesson in the books I am using.

She loves to sit in her massage chair...
and fall asleep as she listens to her favorite songs  :)


We then broke out the sparkling apple cider...
and prepared to watch the first DVD of the Pink Floyd...Pulse concert
(by this time...Roger Waters had left the group).








Sadly...
Richard Wright died in 2008 at the age of 65...
from lung cancer.




We finished the first DVD...
and during our intermission...
I prepared the pizza.




My mother really liked this pizza.



I had seen this at the store...
and I had to try it.

I am glad I had.
It was very good.


We were nearing the end of the concert...
and my favorite song from Pink Floyd came on:  Comfortably Numb.


















They finished with:  Run Like Hell.






And so ended my mother's first day of music appreciation.

I then quizzed her with just two questions
(I admit my bias...they have been my favorite group for over 45 years).


My first question to her:

Which band is the greatest super group the world has ever known?

She answered quickly...

Pink Floyd.


Right answer  :)


I then asked her:

Who is the one and only Guitar GOD?

Once again...
my mother answered quickly...
and with a smile:

David Gilmore


Correct again  :)



And so ended her first, and most important, music appreciation lesson  :)


It was after 11:30 PM when I finally came home.

I had been at my mother's for about 12 hours.


My mother had fun...
and she learned a lot.

Although...
she seemed to miss my major point about the quality of the music.

She kept saying how she thought David Gilmore seemed to be such a nice man  :) 









2 comments:

  1. A nice day of music and food with your mother. Haha, I loved how your mother answered your questions... I take it that she wasn't a Pink Floyd fan before this. What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother is new to Pink Floyd. However, she really likes their music. I will be loading Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, Robin Trower, Journey (original)...etc., on to her iPod, and I will be ordering some DVDs of the above in concert, if possible. Right now, I mostly have new age music for her. She really loves it to relax to.

    ReplyDelete