Thursday, January 27, 2022

Crisped Rice Marshmallow Treat

 


Song:  Wandering (Acoustic Version)

Artist:  Aythis (Carline Van Roos)



I made a batch of crisped rice marshmallow treats in about 20 minutes.

This will be just an infrequent treat for my mother.

While they are delicious...
in general...
sweets are just a sometime treat as they are very sugary.

My mother loves them when I pick up the prepackaged commercial brand
at the grocery store.

When I was a small child...
neighborhood mothers used to make this on occasion.


The recipe is very simple:


6 Tbs - butter

20 oz - marshmallows

12 oz - crisped rice


I used a 12 inch wok to first melt the butter on medium low heat.

Add the marshmallows and melt them on medium low heat.

Flip the mixture frequently to allow full melting.

Once the mixture is fully melted...
simply add the crisped rice until they are fully coated
(keep the heat on the whole time).

Pour the mixture into a coated baking pan (12" x 8" was just right).

Allow to air cool.

Cut into squares and enjoy.

Cleanup is easy...
just use fully hot tap water to dissolve the sugar mixture as you clean 
the cooking implements.








Just this much on a paper towel is enough to just lightly coat the surface of the pan.

It doesn't stick at all when this is done.











Allow to cool for several hours before serving to ensure solidity.



After a few hours...
I made somen and shrimp cocktail for supper.







My mom finished all of her food.


This was my meal.

I usually add chopped green onions to the soup...
however, we were out.





Just one square is enough for dessert.





My Mom kept saying...Oishi  :)


This is the best knife in the kitchen.

It is a thick spined cleaver.

It does everything all the other knives do...
and more.

With this knife...
all I had to do to cut from edge to edge was to rock it down as it cut 
the marshmallow treats into squares almost effortlessly.

It is extremely sharp and highly durable...
as well as being resistant to lateral pressure...
and to corrosion (440 SS).


With just plastic wrap sealing it...
it will keep for many days on the countertop...
although...
this is so delicious...
it will be finished up quickly.



This treat is easily and inexpensively made.

I've never met anyone who did not love this treat.





2 comments:

  1. I loved homemade Rice Krispies treats as a child. I might think they are too sweet now but you stirred up some great memories of having them.

    We love somen and have it quite often, especially in the summer. My son also loves shrimp cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom loved her meal and the treats. Yes, it brought up many good memories as well. They are especially good only slightly cooled.

    ReplyDelete