Saturday, June 24, 2017

15 Min. Baked Sake / Honey Salmon


Song:  Eagle's Path

Artist:  David Lanz / Paul Speer


This is a quick and easy meal which is especially easy to digest...
and highly nutritious.

As a base meat...
salmon is one of the best to eat often.


Each vacuum sealed salmon fillet is about a 1/4 pound.

There are 8 fillets per 2 pound bag...
and the bag costs less than $15.00 at any Super Walmart.


I wanted to try this recipe.

I had modified it from a meal my wife had cooked.



I mixed the honey and sake into a bowl...
and then poured the mixture over the salmon in a pyrex container.

Next time...
I will omit the honey.

Just the sake taste was sweet enough...
and as the photos will show...
we further added ponzu over the fish.

There are many such broth baked fish recipes.

The bake time is the same.

Some other broths to try are:

Cream of mushroom

Tomato

Straight Sake


Before I prepared the mixture...
I preheated the oven to 400 degrees F.


Cook it in the uncovered pyrex container for 15 minutes.


In a short 15 minutes...
it was done.



As neither of us was particularly hungry...
we omitted the salad...
and we only ate a half pound of salmon each.





My mother liked the salmon...
but then I remembered the ponzu.


As the salmon is cooked in the broth...
it comes out light and fluffy...
and exceedingly moist.

This meal is especially digestible for the elderly.



With the addition of Ponzu...
the salmon took on a delightful vinegar / citrus taste

(the honey made it too sweet for me).


Although my wife likes soy sauce over hers...
my mother and I prefer Ponzu or Bulldog sauce.



 We had an apple turnover for dessert.

On the previous night...
we had a large container of fresh blueberries and cherries.


Again...
most of the fish we consume is salmon.

Wild caught Pacific Salmon is the most healthful...
and it is very economical.

Baked sake salmon, and salmon ochazuke, are among 
the most highly digestible salmon dishes for the elderly.

(although my mother has no problem eating a full pound of steak :)

As the elderly produce a lesser amount of stomach acids than when they were younger...
often times, they like easily digestible meals.

For a late meal...
this will not sit in the stomach for hours...
and it is especially good for when someone is recovering from an illness
(as it is so easily digested...especially if someone is recovering from a gastrointestinal illness).

This also makes a good breakfast.

It is so quick and convenient to make...
and when cooked in this manner in whatever favorite broth you may have...
you will never have a more tender and juicy salmon steak.











2 comments:

  1. My wife recently found out that her cholesterol is high so she wants to have fish more often. Your salmon recipes will be good for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a Super Walmart nearby, I find the best deals there. My son loves salmon. My wife has many ways of cooking it for him. Also try the trout, flounder, and grouper. Alex loves them all.

    ReplyDelete