Monday, October 9, 2017

My Mother's Grandson's Last Few Days Of His Visit



Song:  Divenire

Artist:  Ludovico Einaudi



My nephew just departed for home this morning.

These are the last few days of his visit to his grandmother's house (My mother).



For supper on Saturday night...
we went to our favorite Thai restaurant.

We had ordered and shared fresh rolls, shrimp hot and sour soup, Pad Thai...
and shrimp green curry.


 Early the next day...
we departed for Lake Tahoe.

I had wanted to take my nephew to an observation platform just above Lake Tahoe.


On the way to South Lake Tahoe...
I was also going to stop at a scenic rest stop on the lake.

However...it was closed for renovation.


Once arriving at Heavenly Valley at South Lake Tahoe...
we had found out that the gondolas going up to the 
observation platform were not running.

It seems that everyone is renovating this summer.

So...
we decided to drive around Lake Tahoe and head back home.





On the way back home...
we decided to stop at the Lake Tahoe lookout point.


My nephew is explaining the arrows to my mother.






My nephew and I at the lookout point.

We then drove to my mother's house and waited an hour before heading out to supper...
at BJ's Brewery.


My mother and I had tried a mozzarella and tomato salad for the first time.


 My mother and I had a non alcoholic beer (St. Pauli).
My nephew had a beer from Belgium.


We each had ordered the Prime Rib for supper.





My nephew tried one of the desserts.


I just had caramel over ice cream.




These were the trimmings we took back for Hana to enjoy.


And enjoy...


she...


did  :)


As my nephew's flight out was scheduled for midmorning...
I had gone to my mother's house early in the morning to fix my nephew
a good breakfast for his long flight home.

I had made him salmon ochazuke.


I poached a half pound of salmon and minced it in a bowl.


I added a layer of rice...
and added three packets.



The salmon ochazuke would keep him from getting hungry until his arrival in North Carolina.


 As it was early morning when I took my nephew to the airport...
Hana was still sleepy.

All during my nephew's stay at my mother's...
Hana had followed him around the house.

She had also slept outside his door at night.


We said our goodbyes at the airport.




My nephew then walked to the security check point just inside.

He had a good time visiting my mother.

My nephew (Jonathan) and I had some good long talks during his stay.

I remember he was just a one year old child when I went into the Army.

Jonathan is naturally intelligent...
but most importantly...
he is a hard worker...
and he works long hours.

However, as a result of his hard work...
he and his large family have a nice large home on half an acre.


He is a Catholic whom has raised his family
to live by their covenants, instead of merely preaching it.


To be successful in America...
the formula remains the same.

Get yourself educated and/or trained...
and outwork your competitors.

Eschew hedonism and mediocrity...
and embrace the dream, work steadily towards it...
until fruition.

It is that simple.


Jonathan puts his family first...
and he does that which is necessary to ensure that they may flourish.


As a result...
he is a living embodiment of "You reap what you sow".




















2 comments:

  1. Thought I had commented on this last week...

    I'm sure your mother was very happy to get to spend quality time with her grandson. Really great that you took him to so many of your favorite spots... he saw some beautiful places, even if some of them were shut down right now. And you had a great excuse to go to your favorite restaurants, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephew had a good time. It was good of him to travel so far to see her. My mother, of course, had a wonderful time seeing him again.

    ReplyDelete