Friday, May 19, 2017

Butter Sautéed Scallops


Song:  Gnossiennes #1 and #3 (Flute and Harp)

Artists:  Julie Scolnik (Flute) / Franziska Huhn (Harp)


I wanted to first show you what I had done with the Japanese Maple I had planted
in my mother's front porch area...
and more importantly...why.



The Japanese Maple is in the wire cage and plastic housing.

As it was a mere sapling when I had planted it...
and as temperatures in Reno plummet below freezing during the winter months...
and as strong direct sunlight can burn the leaves and trunk of a young Japanese Maple
(the sun is extra strong at our altitude...over 1 mile in elevation)...
I had used a tomato cage to hold a plastic cover over the tree.

For winter...
I had also insulated the sapling with Sphagnum Moss to protect it from freezing temperatures.

I had punched some holes in the top to allow snow melt to drip in.

I also use the water from the aquariums after I clean the gravel inside them...
to water the plants.

It is excellent natural fertilizer for all plants.

I will keep the plastic on until the tree outgrows this structure.

I looked inside...
and the sapling is fully leafed out...
and all of the leaves are healthy and vibrant.


I started this cooking session with a good cup of coffee...
in a great mug  :)


Now...on to the scallops  :)

I have found that Trader Joe's has some very good scallops.

I had bought multiple bags of them and put them in my mother's deep freeze.


I merely defrosted the scallops in warm water until the centers became soft.
It took about 10 minutes.


These excellent potatoes, haricots, and mushrooms are also available at Trader Joe's.


After removing the scallops from the water...
I gently pressed out the excess water.

You must make sure to extract as much of the water from the scallops as you can.
Otherwise, so much water will come out during cooking...
you will end up with boiled scallops.


I initially use just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.


Again...
I am using my mother to demonstrate the cooking.

Although I sometimes have my mother help a little...
I usually do all of the cooking...
except the veg prep.



I initially cook both dishes on medium heat.

Both of these dishes naturally time out to finish at about the same time...
so you may start them together.


After having lightly grilled both sides of the scallops...
I then add the butter to the pan...
and I raise the heat to a medium high setting.




The purpose of the butter is to not only infuse the flavor of it into the scallops...
but it then becomes easy to lightly brown and crisp the outside of the scallops.

Minus the butter...
I also raised the temperature of the pan with the potatoes.

The purpose is the same for both...
to slightly brown and crisp the outsides of the food...
while leaving the insides tender.



I then plated the finished potatoes.


The rice was bowled...
and the miso soup was prepared.


I then plated the scallops.


The meal was ready.


Whenever we eat our meals...
we usually include some form of pickled vegetable.

These cherry peppers are very good.


My meal.


My mother's meal.

My mother usually eats much more...
but she had eaten a large lunch.



My mother had taken a bite of one of her scallops...


and...
I don't know if this was a mother's exaggerated look of approval...
and feigned gushing of how delicious it was...
but it was rather good...
especially for my first time cooking this dish.

(As my wife often cooks this dish for Alex...
I had asked her how she prepared this dish...
and I tried it out at my mother's).

-------------

In an article after the next one...
I will demonstrate a recipe for Japanese Char Siu
(Although it is often called Yaki Buta...it really is not.
Yaki refers to grilling...and Buta means pig.
  This pork loin dish will be marinated for 5 days...and roasted).

My wife had made this dish a few days ago...
and I had found it to be so delicious...
I had her write down the recipe she had modified...
and I will make further modifications to it
(My mother and I like certain flavors...
and so, I will add more of those ingredients).

I bought the pork loins last night.
I shall start the marinade process tonight.

After it is cooked...
I will then thinly slice the meat...
and my mother will be able to enjoy eating the slices while watching movies
on her TV.

---------------

The next article will be short...
but I will include a modification I do to store bought Kim Chee...
to make it more healthful...
and have even greater flavor.

I will also go over some tips in the making of making Somen.

(For anyone from Japan...this won't be news to you.
However, for all those unfamiliar with this dish...
these tips will make it easy to make correctly).




2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love scallops and these look very delicious. You're making me very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved these. I will cook these every so often. If you can find them...get scallops from Hokkaido. They are three times the size...and the most delicious I have ever eaten. I've only had them once here in America. Some day...

    ReplyDelete