Wednesday, May 17, 2017

My Mother's New iPad 3 Air


Song:  Sky High

Group:  Jigsaw



The weather has warmed considerably lately...
and flowers are blooming everywhere.




On the previous night...
I had taken over my iPad 3 Air to show my mother the many apps on it.

She especially loved the games I had on it.

I showed her many games from the Apple download app...
and she immediately said she also wanted one.

So...
on the next day...
I took her to the Apple store in town.


She had initially wanted the iPad Pro since it is considerably larger in size, until...
...I had shown her how the price was double.

It simply had options she did not need.


I then showed her the iPad 3 Air...
and how the screen was still perfectly adequate for her needs...
and I had reminded her that it was the same as mine and how much she had enjoyed it.


So...
she got the iPad 3 Air...
and a 10 foot cloth weave protected power cord.

She was like a grinning like child getting a present for Christmas  :)


We then ate supper at...
what used to be...
our favorite Indian restaurant.

I think it is under new management...
with a new cook.

In short...
the food was dry...
and I could tell of the shortcuts the cook had taken, by the quality of the food.

I fear this restaurant is entering its death spiral.

I will give it one more try for a lunch buffet.



The Nan (flat unleavened bread)...
was DRY and hard.

I had told the waiter when I initially ordered...
that I wanted the Nan with the meal.

So...
the cook must have made the Nan first...
and then put it under the heat lamps until the main meal was done.

The rice was also dried out.

He must have cooked a lot earlier in the day...
and then kept it heated...
which then dried it out.

The sweet Lassi...was not.

The chicken was dried on the surface...
and a bit raw near the bone.

This tells me he had rushed the cooking on too high of a heat source.

This could only be the result of an very inexperienced cook...
of whom had not been trained properly.

This tells me the owner tried skimping on the most important area...
the quality of the food by paying less for the cook.

Instead of charging a little more to cover the cost of a quality cook...
he lowered the quality of the cook...and so...the food.

This is how a restaurant enters a death spiral.

People will gladly pay more for quality food.

What is unforgivable...
is having to eat poor quality food...at any cost.

People stop going...
the owner then tries skimping in other areas to keep his profits up...
and with constantly fewer and fewer customers...
it enters an unrecoverable spiral towards closure.


------------


One interesting note:

The people sitting behind my mother were Japanese nationals.

They were speaking only Japanese.


I had heard that a Japanese company was setting up in Reno.

The company most probably moved some of their management staff here
 with their families.

It is too bad they had eaten at this restaurant.

It will give them the wrong impression of Indian food in Reno...
or of Indian food in general.  :(


-------------


After I took my mother home...
I started up her new iPad...
and I loaded in some of her favorite apps.

I plugged it in near her favorite chair in her relaxation room...
 I had her recline in it with a comforter on top of her...
and I left her to enjoy her games...
with her eyes all a glitter...
and a childish smile on her face.  :)
















2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love reading about your mother's excitement to get an iPad. I'm sure she will enjoy it very much.

    Sorry to hear about your experience at the Indian restaurant. It's always disappointing when a favorite goes downhill.

    Have there been many Japanese living in Reno before now? If more come, maybe a Japanese grocery store will open up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loaded another game for my mother today. She loves jumbled letter word find games.

    There are very few Asians here in Reno, and only a very rare Japanese person. Luckily, the Asian markets carry plenty of Japanese items. Just when we are getting ready to leave Reno next year...then Japanese start moving here. I am hoping for an authentic Japanese restaurant here soon...before I leave.

    ReplyDelete