Monday, July 3, 2017

Shrimp Yakisoba



Song:  It Keeps You Runnin'

Group:  Doobie Brothers


Yakisoba is a favorite meal for street vendors in Japan to make.

I especially loved stopping by this one particular street vendor
plying his trade outside one of the main exits to the Osaka Train Station.

While working in Osaka...
I would often arrive home late at night and get a large container of steaming Yakisoba...
and a container of Takoyaki to then enjoy in my apartment. 

My wife often makes Shrimp Yakisoba for Alex.

I decided to make this dish for my mother last night.


These noodles may be bought at most Asian markets.

As the noodles are fresh...
they must be either refrigerated...or frozen and then defrosted in the fridge for a day.

Each package makes 3 servings...for mere mortals  :)

I made 6 servings so we could eat 2 servings each...
and have 2 servings left over so my mother could eat more as the next day's lunch.

Each package comes complete with the seasoning packets necessary for this dish
(although you may make your own sauce).


Although many prefer cabbage instead of onions...
I like onions...and I only like cabbage raw or pickled.

I usually buy the 'baby' carrots as they are already peeled and washed.
This lessens the load on my mother, as she does the veg prep.


 I sometimes buy the already cooked shrimp...
so I used them.

You may use whatever meat you like most...
but shrimp goes well in this dish.


Extra virgin olive oil is a good oil to use in this dish.

And...the pomegranate juice tastes good to...
 drink as you cook  :)


Just before my mother finished up with chopping up the veggies...
I prepped the wok with the olive oil.





With all of ingredients set...
 I preheated the wok on medium heat.

Again...
I do all of the cooking...
and my mother does all of the veg prep
(I use my mother to model for me as I take photos).



Put in all of the veggies...
and flatten them against the bottom and sides.


Then...
put the fire on high.


Even with the fire on high...
the veggie mass will take a few minutes to sear on each side.


This amount of sear is good.


Plate the veggies, and place them to the side.

You will be adding them in a short while.


Add a bit more olive oil to the wok.


Then add the designated amount of water per serving (1/4 cup).


Then...
add the noodles with the fire on medium high.


As the water slowly boils...
the noodles will soften.

At this point...
gently break them apart...
and then move them to the side while you move the blocks of noodles into the water.



When all of the noodles have separated...
continue to toss them under heat for a few minutes.


When all of the water is gone...
add the veggies...


...the shrimp...



and the spice packets.


Stir the mixture thoroughly until all of the noodles have an even appearance.


Then place the fire on high once more.

The idea is to slightly sear the noodles.

It will be ready in a few minutes from this point...
depending on the amount of sear you wish.


The meal is then ready to eat.

This was my plate.


And this was my mother's.



My mother had a good time eating this Yakisoba.

It had been too long since we had eaten this dish.

I will be making more in the near future.

Perhaps next time...
I will make scallop Yakisoba.










2 comments:

  1. Love yakisoba, and this one looks really delicious! Love your mom's expression... I think she will like it with scallops as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She loves Yakisoba. She especially likes my giving her many options for supper. Since she got the deep freeze...all I have to do is ask her her favored dish for that night...and I can cook whatever she most feels like eating.

    ReplyDelete