Sunday, February 24, 2019

Mochi Night



Song:  Ave Maria (Franz Schubert)

Flute:  Alexander Lipay



Note:  For those of whom had tried to comment on this blog...
it is open to all (except spammers)...
however, this blog host presents a problem for Apple users
using the default browser - Safari.

For some reason...
Safari users cannot comment on this blog.

I have to go to an alternative browser - (Chrome or Firefox)...
just to reply to comments.

So, please do comment.
Feel free to question anything I say...
or to ask for a further explanation.

Just be aware to use Chrome or Firefox to make comments.


We have been having a spectacular winter here.

I love snow and the deep chill in the air.












 My sisters and I decided to make enough Mochi to last all of us quite some time.

We ended up with 6 gallon sized bags to freeze for later use.


I had presoaked the sweet rice overnight.

As my sisters and my mother played a dice game...
I first prepared a quick supper of scrambled eggs and corned beef hash.




(We don't wear shoes in the house...
these are one of my mother's slippers).

My elder sister had bought these aluminum dies...
which light up when moved.


For the eggs...
in order to make them moist and fluffy...
I add a quart of milk to a dozen eggs.


It was just a quick light meal as no one was particularly hungry...
and, so I could start making Mochi.


My younger sister making individual cakes...
and then rolling them in sweet rice flour to coat them so they won't stick
to each other in storage.




We then bagged them for the freezer.

My elder sister got two gallon sized bags for her freezer.

My younger sister likes to make Mochi Soup with the Mochi.


My mother loves Mochi.

Now we have plenty of Mochi and Gyoza in the freezer
for a quick snack or meal at a moment's notice.


I had eaten about a pound of Mochi with last night's supper.

I butter sauteed flounder and I had freshly made Mochi.

I like a mixture of soy sauce and sugar for the dipping sauce.





4 comments:

  1. The mountains look so beautiful with all that snow. I'm sure you're very happy about it, especially as some of your previous winters did not provide much snow.

    You made a lot of mochi! I'm sure you'll all be enjoying it for a good long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been very happy with the weather. This batch of Mochi should last quite a while. Plus, we can always make more at anytime.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry that I was not able to help beyond the first two batches. I like Shubert's rendition of Ave Maria. I also like the vocals of Barbara Bonney.... in my fantasy, this is how I would love to sing it. There is something very good for the soul about singing a beautiful song fully from the heart. Of course I have to do it in my car.... but this is one of those that releases something from within.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. We are going to drop some off to you soon.

      I am using the above rendition for my transcription. I personally like Maria Callas' vocal version. When I sing...I must do it alone...for I do not wish to subject others to what only I, alone, can tolerate. :)

      Delete