Thursday, February 14, 2019

Communal Gyoza Night


Song:  Good Vibrations

Group:  The Beach Boys



My mother, younger sister, and I, went to my elder sister's home 
to have a gyoza (pot stickers) making party.

We were going to make hundreds of gyoza and put them into freezer bags
so they may be cooked and eaten all year long.


We just arrived at my elder sister's house...
all ready to start making the gyoza.


It was raining at the time...
so we hurried in.



My mother relaxed a bit as my sisters did the vegetable prep for the gyoza.



My elder sister is going to have the TV mounted higher on the wall on the following day.


My elder sister had bought 6 lbs of ground beef...
a large head of cabbage, several onions, some ginger...
and many hundreds of gyoza wrappers.





As my younger sister did most of the veg prep...
my mother had lain out some of the wrappers...
and when the meat and vegetables were ready...
my mother then mixed them thoroughly. 










My mother and sisters then started stuffing the wrappers with the meat and veg. mix.


I then started cooking that night's meal of gyoza while the wrappers were being filled.



My elder sister has a turbo stove.
It cooks so quickly.

I am used to cooking on teflon.

My sister has stainless steel cookware.

Well...
let's just say that the potstickers earned their name on this night.



I like a simple sauce mixture of soy sauce and yellow mustard.



As my sisters and mother continued stuffing the wrappers...
my brother and law and I ate the first batch.


A quick and simple meal.

There are some meals which...
shortly after eating...
make me drowsy.

This is one of them.



I then made more batches for my mother and sisters to eat.


My mother loves gyoza.


My mother got ten quart size freezer bags filled with gyoza to take home.

I will just take them out of the freezer one day early and allow them to defrost
in the fridge...and then cook them anytime we feel like having gyoza in the future.


There was plenty of gyoza left for my elder sister to freeze...
and she had run out of wrappers...
so, on the next day...
she will get more wrappers and finish stuffing them.


My younger sister, mother, and I, left early since we were all getting drowsy
after our meal.

When I got back...
although I usually stay awake all night long...
I ended up sleeping from about 9:30 PM until about 2:30 AM.

Gyoza is just so filling that it makes me so sleepy...
just like a large Thanksgiving meal makes others sleepy.


Anyways...
we had a good time...
we each have plentiful amounts of gyoza to last us much of the year...
and next week...
my elder sister will be coming to my mother's house 
so we can have a communal Mochi making party.

We will make a year's worth of Mochi for freezing.

This way we can bake Mochi...
or use it for Mochi soup throughout the year.








4 comments:

  1. It's always more fun to prepare a meal when you do it with a group of people, isn't it? My son loves gyoza! And so do I! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although the real time consuming part is the actual cooking. I also love Gyoza. Homemade is simply the best.

      Delete
  2. Good to see the gyoza made this way.

    And good luck with the mochi-making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We plan to make a great amount of mochi. It is very freezable, so, it lasts years in deep freeze.

      Gyoza made at home beats any store bought.

      Delete