Friday, November 13, 2015

A 10 Minute Meal - 'Eggs In A Basket'


Song:  Carol Of The Bells

Group:  The Piano Guys


As I had explained in an earlier article...
several decades ago...
while I was a cash poor university student living in a rooming house...
I had to learn how to cook quick, easy, and economical meals...
while still having them be nutritious and delicious.

I had learned this particular dish from one of my roommates 
in the rooming house in which I was staying.

Even today...
it is but a $2.00 meal.

It is called, 'Eggs in a Basket'.
The reason for the name will become readily apparent, shortly.

I had shown my mother how to make this meal last night.


The main ingredients.


A potential accompanying side.


Never use a spoon where simple physics applies :)


How it was done:

With all canned goods...
if it doesn't pour out on its own...
 after you open one end...
turn it over...
put a small hole in the bottom...
and gently blow in the hole.

However...
do so only if you know the guest who will be joining you in your meal...very well :)



First...
spread out the corned beef hash evenly...
making sure there are no holes.


Use a large spoon to make four indentations in which the eggs will be cradled.


Ensure the eggs touch only the indented hash.


Add about one tablespoon of water to the pan.


Place on the lid...
and have the stove on medium heat.

The idea is to poach the eggs while you warm the corned beef hash.

Do nothing else until you are ready to serve.
Do not turn over the hash...
just let it sit until you check the eggs.


In less than ten minutes...
there you have it...
'Eggs in a Basket'.

Notice I had tested each egg for doneness.
I like my egg yolks fully cooked...
yet...still moist.


Simply divide the hash...
and slide the portions on to their respective plates.


A $2.00 meal for two.


Simply heat up some tortillas in the microwave for one minute
(covered to retain moisture).


This was our supper.

For breakfast or lunch...
a side of toast with jam would be equally as good.


Besides being high in protein...
and balanced in carbs...
it is very cheap and quick to make.

We would have had a sprout salad also...
however, my mother's sprouts were not yet ready.


Still...
my mother really liked this meal.

For a ten minute $2.00 meal...
it is hard to beat.


We then enjoyed some pumpkin pie...
and two movies :)


In the next few articles...
I will be showing some of the adventures my mother 
had been on during the three months she had been living 
with my family at our house...
just prior to her getting her present house a few minutes from mine.















No comments:

Post a Comment