Friday, November 13, 2015

Triple Play: Easy Sequential Cooking - I


Song: Rain

Artist:  Dax Johnson



The idea of the triple play is to do most of the cooking from the beginning...
and to cook extra and use the leftovers for the next meal...or meals.

Many senior citizens have all the time in the world...
yet...
I would guess that most do not especially enjoy cooking.

So...
as we still must eat healthfully...
we should at least be economical and efficient.

I had to learn to be very efficient and economical in my cooking
when I was a University student and living in a rooming house...
many decades ago.


I took my mother shopping at a local super Walmart...
and we got the ingredients for a triple play
(most of the cooking done ahead of time for three meals).




When we had arrived at my mother's house...
the clouds overhead were taking on a glow that was almost surreal.


Although my mother knows how to cook many meals...
I am teaching her how to cook efficiently and economically...
so as to allow more time to enjoy...
eating  :)


We had prepared for this night's meal of Tacos.
(2 lbs of lean ground beef).

I always cook with the cover on...
as this also partially poaches the meats.

This not only cooks it faster...
it makes the meats juicier.

This is especially true with the salmon.
When I cook them...they are mostly poached.

I cook on a medium heat so the meat never burns.


My mother prepared the vegetables and cheese...
as I started browning the meat
(we work as a team...in both...the cooking, and the clean up.
I do most of the stove work...and my mother does the veg prep.
I do the dishes afterwards...my mother puts away the leftovers...
and cleans the counters).

This is efficient...
and allows us to enjoy a movie afterwards...
in the least amount of time.



The veg prep is done...
as is the hamburger meat.


The next step is to warm up the tortillas in the microwave
(1 minute for 4 tortillas).


My mother then scooped out the browned hamburger meat.


This is all that was left in the pan after the meat was scooped out.

Notice how lean the meat was...
very little fat.


We are all prepared to eat our meal of Tacos.




Although this sauce is good...
next time, we are going to try some spicy 'Verde' (green sauce).





These are the leftover ingredients from the Tacos.

They will all be used in our next meal on the following day...
Spaghetti and a salad.


Again...
the idea here is for efficiency in time...
and economy in expenditure
of effort, and money.








No comments:

Post a Comment