Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Scouting A New Location


Song:  Play Me

Artist:  Neil Diamond


Just yesterday early morning...
I decided to scout out Lower Eagle Falls at Lake Tahoe
so I could take my elder sister and her husband, along with my mother...
to see it during sunrise sometime in the near future.

I have been there before during daylight...
but I had to ensure a near parking spot when we arrive at about an hour 
before sunrise.

I left at about 3:15 AM and I arrived at the falls at a little after 4:30 AM.

I had timed it perfectly.

I always carry a small, but powerful, flashlight.
I needed it as it was very dark upon my arrival.

I parked just across the street in a pull out.
There was only one other car there.
I walked down a short distance to the falls.
I was the only one there for the longest time.

Shortly before the sun rose...
a young lady with a backpack on walked down to where I was and we talked a little.

She was from Germany and she was very nice.

She is in the last picture.

Anyway...
I am taking a lot more pictures nowadays.

I love landscape photos...
but most of all...
I love sunrises and sunsets along with the clouds.

This particular sunrise was nothing special...
as there were no clouds.

Next time I take my family here...
I will wait for clouds over Lake Tahoe.

There are a lot of other places I will be exploring for great photos.

My elder sister and her husband are especially looking forwards to the falls
to take photos of a beautiful sunrise (unlike this one).

We just have to keep an eye out on the sky for clouds before we leave.

It will take much convincing to get my mother to walk down to the top of the falls...
as she hates heights.

However, I think she will appreciate the view from there.

Next time...
the sunrise should be better.

I don't like all clear skies.
It simply means a boring sunset or sunrise.

However...
try to appreciate what beauty the falls has by itself in these pictures.

I sat on a rock ledge in darkness for quite a while before taking this first shot.
















The young lady from Germany had asked me earlier to take her picture with her phone
as she posed at the top of the falls and with Emerald Bay in the background.

I then walked back up to the street...
and just before crossing it to the car...
I took this one last photo of her at the top of the falls.

-------------

Just one note...
if you ever decide to go to Lower Eagle Falls...
stay away from the fast flowing water just before the falls.

There are no handrails or guards.

Just a few days ago...
a young lady (24 yrs old) had slipped into the water...
and was carried over the falls to her death.


Many people...
every year...
are killed at Lake Tahoe.

Most in the water...
some at the falls or cliffs.

Always put safety first...
and always think ahead and plan for worst case scenarios.

Research the places you wish to visit...
and use your common sense.

Always error on the side of caution.

This is high country wilderness.

It abounds in natural beauty...
but also in wild animals and various and inherently dangerous
hazards for those not used to being in the wilderness.


I can navigate wilderness areas in darkness...
just by moonlight if necessary...
 as I am used to it...
just in case my flashlights fail.

Most people cannot.

If you go to Lower Eagle Falls for the sunrise...
take a good flashlight...
and stay away from the river leading to it...
and away from all the ledges.

This is NOT a place to take young children...ever...
and especially not in times of darkness.

There are no lights.

There are many places of sudden death should you
lose your balance, slip, or misstep.

But if you go...
be sure you have a good camera with wide angle and telephoto capabilities...
fully charged batteries and extra memory cards...
and if you had judged the skies correctly...
you will be treated to a bit of Lake Tahoe magic.


I knew it wasn't going to be a spectacular sunrise before I left.

I went to ensure of the route and parking situation before I took my family here...
and to also know of any dangers ahead of time.

Why?

Because that is what proper preparation to a potentially hazardous 
situation calls for.

I now know the lay of the land and the potential hazards at night
so I can safely take my family there before the sunrises.

I also now know where the best photo spots are here.


For other places which are inherently safe...
I will take my elder sister, her husband, and my mother
 along as we explore more of Lake Tahoe together.










2 comments:

  1. I can see that this could be a spectacular place to see a sunrise when the conditions are right... it looked pretty good already on the morning you were there.

    It is nice to introduce your family to such beautiful places that you love.

    Good words of caution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be going back when there are many clouds in the sky. However, we just have too many blue sky days here :)

    ReplyDelete